Can Dogs Eat Trout? Eating Raw Trout Can Kill Your Dog

Can Dogs Eat Trout

Trout is delicious, versatile in flavor, and packed with nutrients. It’s not surprising that many dog owners would want to feed their pups this delicious fish from the salmon family. But before you give your pet canine a bite of that freshly caught trout you just got from a river or market, you need to know that raw trout can be toxic to dogs.

So can dogs eat trout? The answer depends on how you give it your pup. If your dog eats cooked trout, then it’s completely safe to eat. However, if your dog feeds on raw trout, it can be dangerous as raw trout can contain parasites and bacteria that could kill it in a mere few days.

If raw trout contains highly toxic bacteria that can kill dogs, why do some pet owners still feed the fish to their dogs? For many, they may not know the perils of feeding trout to their furry friends, and for some, the benefits of cooked trout are worth the risk.

Can Dogs Eat Trout?

Yes, dogs can eat trout

Dogs can eat cooked trout but not raw trout. Trout is a tender and flaky fish that belongs to the salmon family. It is mild in flavor and considered a freshwater fish, mainly found in rivers and other natural freshwater sources. The meat can be white, pink, or light orange, and it’s great for grilling, baking, or frying.

Dogs should never eat raw trout because it can contain toxic parasites and bacteria that can kill your dog within 7 to 10 days. The risk for Salmon Poisoning Disease (SPD) in dogs is too great in raw trout that pet owners should never give raw trout under any circumstances.

Cooking kills the bacteria but you must ensure the fish is cooked well to guarantee no traces of the bacteria remains. Cooked trout is a great treat for dogs as it’s packed with nutrients that can improve a dog’s overall health, plus it contains nutrients that can improve a pup’s coat and skin.

Trout Nutritional Facts

Trout is a nutrient-dense fish that’s healthy for dogs when cooked. It is a good source of healthy vitamins and minerals, plus the skin is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids that make your dog’s fur shiny and healthy.

For a 3-ounce piece of trout, here are its nutrients:

Calories = 103

Fat = 2.94 mg

Sodium = 41 mg

Protein = 17.4 mg

It also contains a healthy portion of calcium, potassium, niacin, and Vitamins A, B12, and Vitamin D. For 3 ounces of trout, it contains 57mg of calcium, 409 mg of potassium, 26.4mg of magnesium, 4.58mg of niacin, 52.7 IU of Vitamin A, 3.78mg of Vitamin B12, and 645 IU of Vitamin D.

Health Risks When Feeding Raw Trout to Your Dog

While the nutrients present in trout can make any dog parent want to add the fish to a pup’s daily diet, the risks need to be known to ensure your dog is always fed with safe and healthy food items.

Here are the possible risks of feeding raw trout to your dog:

Injury Caused by the Bones

Trout fish is notoriously known for having small and brittle bones. When dogs eat raw trout, there is a high possibility that their mouth and esophagus can suffer from perforations caused by the bones. Intestinal blockage can also occur when the bones are swallowed, and puppies can also choke if the bones are ingested.

Salmon Poisoning Disease

Salmon Poisoning Disease is a life-threatening disease caused by two parasites and bacteria present in fish that belongs to the salmon family, such as trout. These bacteria are called the Rickettsial parasite and Nanophyetus Salmincola. These can cause severe symptoms that can be fatal in dogs when left untreated. However, if detected early, a vet can provide antibiotics and anti-parasitic drugs that can help kill the bacteria and stop it from spreading.

Educating yourself about the perils of certain types of foods on dogs is key to making sure your pup is always safe and healthy. If your dog has accidentally eaten raw trout or if someone gave it raw trout, you need to know what to watch out for and what to do in case signs of poisoning occur.

Trout on plate

What are the Signs of Salmon Poisoning Disease?

If your dog has eaten raw or undercooked trout, it may start to show signs of Salmon Poisoning Disease within 4 to 8 hours after ingesting the fish. If you’re not aware that your dog has consumed raw or undercooked trout, it’s best to know the symptoms to watch out for you so can take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.

Here are the signs to watch out for:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea (stools include blood)
  • Loss of appetite
  • Fever
  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Enlarged lymph nodes
  • Discharge from the eyes or nose
  • Increased respiratory rate
  • Muscle tremors or seizures

If your dog is showing any of these signs, bring it to the vet immediately as early invention is the only way to save your dog from this life-threatening disease. If you leave your dog untreated, the bacteria can spread from the digestive system to other internal organs, and your dog can die in as little as 7 to 10 days.

Avoid trying to provide your dog with home remedies and don’t medicate on your own. You must bring your dog to the vet who can give antibiotics and/or anti-parasitic medication to ensure the bacteria and parasite are killed and stop spreading.

Related Questions

Can I feed my dog canned trout?

Yes, canned trout is safe to feed to your dog but make sure there isn’t too much oil or seasoning. Know the ingredients present in the canned trout before feeding it to your dog.

How do you give cooked trout to your dog?

To ensure the cooked trout is safe to eat, remove the bones first and cut them into fillet sizes. Bake in an oven or bake then fry the trout. Avoid adding seasoning or spices.

How much cooked trout can I feed my dog?

You can give cooked trout as a once-a-week treat for your dog but never use it as a meal replacement as your dog is already getting enough nutrition from its regular dog food. Give it as a protein supplement or as a nutritious treat if it’s available, but don’t regard it as an important part of your dog’s diet.

If you regularly cook trout at home, make sure your dog will not have any access to raw trout, and when you’re cooking, prevent your dog from entering the kitchen to prevent accidental ingestion of the raw fish.

Trout is a highly nutritious fish that can benefit dogs. It is a good source of protein, calcium, and Omega-3 fatty acids, as with other kinds of fish that are nutritionally beneficial for dogs. However, raw trout can be deadly, so make sure you properly cook the fish and never give it to your dog when undercooked.

Image Credits

Unsplash – Trout on plate

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *